The Pacific Marine Mammal Center was started in 1971 with just three volunteers. It was originally used as a way to house seals and sea lions. Today, it has grown into something quite amazing. Here's what you will find at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center.
With plenty of education programs, this organization is the perfect choice for both children and adults. You can learn all about the different sea creatures through the many programs, which include:
- Mommy and Me - Perfect for moms and their toddlers to earn all about marine mammals.
- Kindergarten through Grade 12 School Programs - Split into age groups with choices, such as Seal Lion Story and Ocean Heath Issues.
- Home School Programs - Workshops for ages 5 to 12.
- Scout Programs - For both boy and girl scouts.
- Adult Programs & Presentations
- And More!
PMMC also offers a summer camp called Camp Pinniped for ages 8 to 12. This summer camp is a week-long day camp and provides plenty of fun, along with education for those in attendance. It runs from 9am to 3pm daily and from 9am to 12 noon on Fridays, which is beach day. The cost is $325 per camper and it's limited to 24 campers per session.
Along with plenty of educational programs, PMMC offers events every year including:
- PMMC Marine Mammal Gala - A fundraising event held in the fall with live entertainment, an auction and more.
- Marine Mammal Martini Madness - Held at Madison Square & Garden Cafe, this event will be on May 31st this year from 4:30pm to 7pm. It's $35 in advance and $40 at the door.
- Change the Life of a Seal - This is an ongoing event for students to collect as much spare changes and dollars bills as possible to help support PMMC.
There are many other events help throughout the year, as well.
Location, Hours and Information
The Pacific Marine Mammal Center is located at 20612 Laguna Canyon Road in Laguna Beach. It's near the animal shelter and dog park. PMMC is open from 10am to 4pm daily for visitors, except on major holidays. There is no charge to visit, but donations are appreciated.